Henry William “Bill” Dodge
Bill Dodge is probably not a name who many fans of today would instantly recognize from the club’s history, but he was involved from the very beginning right up until his death, for 72 years, more than half of the club’s history!
When the Brentford Rowing Club was founded in 1888 at the Bunch of Grapes at Brentford Ferry, he attended the formal opening as a young 22 year-old. He rowed in quads race for the Claret & Light Blues and coxed the single men in their race with the married men during that summer. He was also on the committee of the club.
When the Rowing Club had their acrimonious split in March 1889, he was one of the breakaway group who re-established the Brentford Rowing Club at the Oxford & Cambridge, Kew Bridge.
When this club held their meeting in October 1889 about a winter sport to keep them fit for rowing, football was a sport to be pursued, although whether it was to be Rugby or Association needed to be decided. It was Bill who formerly proposed the motion that Rugby be played, and he voted accordingly.
Bill’s motion was defeated by 5 votes to 8, meaning an Association football club would be established and it would be called Brentford FC, with the same colours as (both) Rowing Clubs, claret & light blue.
As a friend of the Aldington family (who had managed the Express since 1822) Bill recalled he helped organize early club meetings in a room at The Express Tavern, although by the time of the first match on 23 November the new Football Club had established their HQ at The Griffin pub.
Bill was in the club’s very first starting XI playing at left-half, and went on to make about a dozen appearances in those early seasons of friendly matches.

1892. Ai research identified Bill
By 1891 he was made captain of reserves.
He was also on the Football Club’s committee, whilst continuing his involvement with the Rowing Club, where he became its secretary.
His close connection with The Express Tavern became even closer when in April 1896 he married Katie Aldington, daughter of Robert, the licensee.

Left column, 4th down
In August 1901, Brentford Football and Sports Club Ltd was established, with Bill as one of its original ten directors.
Aside from decisions about the club, this role probably meant he would have financially assisted the club on numerous occasions.
There was a slight bump-in-the-road when he was suspended from the Board for a couple of years from April 1904, as the FA deemed him one of those responsible for making payments to new player joining from the army. This, according to the FA, made him a professional, which was against the rules in the era of amateurs.

Glan Helen, Upper Butts
Aside from his sporting involvement he was a chartered surveyor in the local firm of Dodge & Reid.
They were architects for many local buildings including Brentford Cottage Hospital, extension works at Isleworth Infirmary, the Hanwell war memorial, Hanwell Post Office and new maternity block at West Middlesex hospital.
He was also elected vice chairman of Brentford Urban District Council and was a trustee of New Brentford United Charities. He resided for a while at the Upper Butts, Brentford.
In 1949 Brentford FC made him Club President, a role he held until his death in 1961, at the age of 95.
Bill had such a unique involvement and longevity in Brentford FC
Jonathan Burchill

1932-33 Seated far right

Commemorating Bil Dodge – The Express Tavern 27th August 2026
